I went on to look at the history of tea, doing a lot of research on the Japanese Tea Ceremony. This is how the project progressed from here. Working to a brief to produce a packaging design, I decided to design a tea box. After researching other packaging designs, I wanted the shape to also be important, so I experimented with origami shapes to create the box.
Here is the final prototype I made:
This is a pattern for the outside of another design, that I didn’t get to make into a physical box. It was quite complicated trying to work out where to place each part and how it would correspond when folded. Both the inside and outside pattern are printed back-to-back to work when folded into the box design. I was experimenting with different colour schemes, each one representing a different type of tea.
This project was based on the theme ‘domestic chores’. I was given the chore of making tea, which I had to do and document for an hour. I then went on to work with tea stains to form the basis of the project.
I started by looking for images in the stains. I decided to outline shapes I could see within the stains to build up an image, which enabled me to add order to the spontaneity and chaos. Here are the results:
Initial observational drawings based on the tea set I used: